I started 2020 by deleting a lot of side-projects from my hard-disk. And it was a great feeling. What I learned in 2019: if you want to learn something you do not have to create a side-project out of your experiments.
Instead of those bad habits I just have decided to:
- I will only work on one or two side-projects next to my day-job, because I want to finalöize something useful.
- When you want to learn a new technique stop working on it after a dedicated space of time – this shall help me to keep my focus high.
- Never generate a repo out of them, it will create you pain because you feel some responibility to finish them – you cannot finish so much side projects, no one can!
- Use dedicated time-slots for the side-projects, do not do any experiments during these timeslots
- Cleanup / archive your older side-projects, better kill them than to feel the wall o shame everytime you see the folder
I started doing this and 2020 feels much better …
And I decided to write more in 2020!